latest update: January 18, 2023, at 8:30 am IST
The Maldives, an island country in the Indian Ocean, is known for its marine life, secluded white sandy beaches, and beautiful flora and fauna, making it an ideal vacation spot. The Maldives is home to around 1,200 atolls with incredible underwater activities, vibrant coral reefs and unparalleled luxury resorts. If you are planning to visit the Maldives, you may be wondering about the Maldives visa for Indian passports.
Have a look at the different visas available to Indians:
Tourist visa upon arrival
Indian tourists can get a Maldives entry visa on arrival at no cost. Maldives Tourist Visa on Arrival is valid for 30 days from the date of arrival and can be extended for up to 90 days. To clear immigration upon arrival in the Maldives, an individual must meet basic entry requirements.
Documents required to obtain a Maldives tourist visa upon arrival
- Original passport that is still valid six months after the date of your trip with at least three blank pages.
- Two recent passport size color photographs measuring 35 mm wide by 44 mm long.
- Proof of accommodation reservations (hotel reservations or any other chosen accommodation).
- Return or confirmed connecting flight from Maldives.
- Sufficient funds to cover the duration of your stay in the Maldives (about 50 USD per day).
- The Passenger Health Declaration must be completed and submitted within 72 hours of the time of the flight
A person who travels to the Maldives for work will obtain a work visa within 15 days from the date of arrival. To obtain this visa, the foreign national must have a valid work permit issued by the Ministry of Economic Development of the Maldives that is valid for at least 90 days from the date of issue. Furthermore, the traveler must present the same passport that was used to obtain the work permit upon arrival.
Entry requirements for a work visa
- Employee passport
- A copy of the work permit
- Passport size photo (The photo must comply with the Maldives passport photo standard and must be recent)
- A medical examination report for the employee issued by a hospital/clinic licensed by the competent government agency
- Employment visa application submission receipt (IM29)
A student visa in the Maldives allows a foreign national to move temporarily to the country to pursue education there. Studying in the Maldives has become a favorite with undergraduates all over the world in recent years. As long as the student visa holder needs to finish their studies and support themselves and any dependents, they are also allowed to live and work (in a limited capacity) in the Maldives.
A business visa is a visa issued by a government authority for foreign nationals to stay in the Maldives for the purpose of work or business. This visa is only valid for a limited period and does not allow a foreign national to work as an employee in the Maldives.
Entry requirements for a work visa
- IM24 Form for Employment Visa Application (PDF Format)
- Colored copy of your passport’s machine readable biodata (MRZ) page (valid for at least 6 months) (PDF format)
- A copy of the applicant’s registration (PDF format)
- Passport size photo (JPEG format)
- Supporting documents, such as qualification certificates or letters of experience (PDF format)
- A copy of the medical insurance policy schedule for expatriates (PDF format)
- A letter from the sponsor indicating the foreigner’s residence in the Maldives (PDF format)
- If applicable, Visa Applicant Information Form (IM30) (PDF format)
Always make sure that you carry your passport and visa with you wherever you go in a foreign country.
Read all the latest lifestyle news here