Two Men Found Dead at Popular Bay Area Vacation Town Home


The Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office announced Thursday that two men were found dead at a home at Sea Ranch.

At about 11:22 a.m. on Wednesday, the sheriff’s office got a call that two men had been found dead inside a house in the 300 block of Spinnaker Close on Sea Ranch — a popular vacation spot.

Sheriff’s deputies later responded to the investigation of the deaths, finding two men in two separate bedrooms and a generator in the adjacent hallway with an empty fuel tank and the power switch turned on. Deputies believe the accident may be related to carbon monoxide poisoning.

The men were found by work crews after they arrived to remove a tree that had fallen on the house. CalFire firefighters were the first to respond and pronounced both men dead at the scene.

The identities of the two men are not yet available as investigators continue to investigate the matter.

Portable generators can emit carbon monoxide when they are running, which in sufficient quantities is fatal. | Benjamin Fanjoy / The Standard

There has been a spike in incidents of carbon monoxide poisoning during recent winter storms in the Bay Area, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

See also

Approximately 420 people in the United States die from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning annually, and more than 100,000 people visit the emergency room for accidental carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, nausea, vomiting, confusion, chest pain, dizziness, and weakness, according to the CDC.

Those using generators should do so outdoors and at least 20 feet away from occupied buildings, per CDC guidelines.